Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Conclusions


I have come to some conclusions about life lately. I have decided that Out of Africa is now my favorite book and that of Brahms’s symphonies, my favorite is the fourth.

Also, I’m kind of off the bunny kick. A majority of my family is anti-bunny. Several acquaintances have been unenthusiastic. I don’t really have time to give a bunny the attention it needs. And before Christmas, a wise-looking elderly man in Tucson’s best used bookstore, glimpsing the About Your Rabbit book I was carrying under my arm, warned me that they are twice as much work as you expect them to be. What could be more convincing than an aging stranger’s unsolicited advice?

Since my blog must remain inconclusive, I will wrap up with today’s wildlife sighting:

In the distance behind me I hear the consternation of a woman whose dog has gotten loose. I keep walking ahead, hoping not to encourage the animal, but as I hear it approaching I grow curiouser and curiouser. A great whirring and flapping indicates a beast of significant size.

Sure enough, a huge brown hound (please pause to say that out loud) is soon trotting beside me, its spine almost as high as my hipbones, its head down sniffing, taking no notice of me. I am content to have such a calm and independent creature at my side, filling up the empty half of the sidewalk, but after a few steps I begin to worry about its owner, who is becoming breathless in her pursuit.

I turn around and wait for a few moments while she approaches. I express my amazement at her pet’s dimensions. “And he’s just a puppy,” she says. “Eleven months.”

“Do you mean he’ll get bigger?” Truly, this is a marvelous beginning to the day. The words “huge brown hound” bring considerable merriment to the rest of the walk. I know, it doesn’t take much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Say yes to bunnies.