Saturday, April 24, 2004

war talk

There's a book review in the May Atlantic Monthly, talking about how those intellectuals and religious leaders who sold World War I as a messianic crusade, "the war to end all wars," were the liberals and the progressive Christian leaders, whereas those who opposed the war were the conservatives and fundamentalists.

And now, as everyone knows, we have W saying things like this: "Freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom."

I am no pacifist, but the weird apparent reversal of roles that this book review suggests makes me scratch my head.

Maybe I shouldn't muddy up the Crawdad Hole with silly war talk. I just thought this was interesting and noteworthy.

No comments: