Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Face recognition

This weekend I went to a reception for an art show, mostly because I know one of the artists; I'm not really much of an artsy person, myself. The girl I knew only had three paintings in the show, and I took a pretty good look at those, glanced at some of the other artwork, chatted with the two people I knew who were milling around, ate a cookie, and was pretty much ready to leave, having spent a total of maybe twenty minutes there.

As I turned to go, I saw a face I suddenly recognized, someone I hadn't seen in at least wo years. I used to write her email on a fairly regular basis, and she even came to visit me on her spring break one year. What struck me about it was how I instantly recognized her, without doubt or hesitiation; it was definitely her. And even though she disappeared in the two seconds I took to collect myself and try to think of something reasonable to to say to someone I hadn't seen in years, even though I only saw her for half a second and haven't seen her since, I am certain it was really her, that she was really there.

How many faces are there in my mind, floating around, waiting for me to see them again?

No comments: