Saturday, May 01, 2004

Walking man

As an advocate of walking rather than driving (influenced, of course, by the mighty Tree of Valinor) I found this article on alternet to be very refreshing and interesting. I like especially the closing thought, that the way to persuade people to walk is not through guilt trips about the environment but by simply showing them how fun and rewarding it can be.

On March 18, Tree wrote in this space (see the archives) about a research project involving how far people are from their cars at any given time. I wonder if, for some of us, the further we are from a car the happier we are.

I have almost resolved not to own a car when I move to Boulder in August. Can I stick to my morals, or will I be sucked into the convenience and Americanism of the internal combustion engine?

No comments: