Sunday, May 27, 2007

Our charming government


I never thought I would be singing the praises of the recent postage rate hike, but if I hadn’t had to buy some make-up stamps today I would have missed a great pleasure. I bought two packs of fifty one-cent stamps from a postage machine and they appeared in the most elegant form, folded accordion-style and sealed in a tiny wax-paper envelope with a sticker. To think, people who pay their bills online will never see or feel this.

Above: Pepe fingers the packet, to reveal scale. The photo does not, however, capture the exquisite density of the packet. You must buy one yourself.

Also, I am meaning to post soon about two books: Possession by A. S. Byatt and Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands by Paul David Tripp. I just haven’t had the time to write something that does them justice. Maybe I should just say I loved them both and highly recommend them, in case I don’t succeed in posting anytime soon.

4 comments:

Scharnhorst said...

On a tangentially related note, Slate posted an article (sorry, on dial-up, so it's too much trouble to link) on the forever stamp. Evidently, the price of postage, by law, must increase more slowly than the rate of inflation, so stocking up on forever stamps won't save you money (in inflation-adjusted dollars).

Interesting note.

Have you purchased a bunny with glowing eyes? A cat? Or is my monitor failing to grasp the true nature of Pepe?

Tree of Valinor said...

You crack me up. Pepe is a Peruvian sand frog. I realize the picture is a little dark, but the ones I took with the flash made the stamp packet lose all detail, and it was supposed to be the subject of the photo, not Pepe. I'm kind of glad he mystified you...

Good to know about the forever stamps. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I adored Possession. You must write about it. I must know what you though!!

Scharnhorst said...

is a link to the Slate article. It's short.