Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Stranger on the earth


Last year my pastor had us read a stanza a day of Psalm 119 as an advent devotional. I liked the novelty of this, so I’m doing it again, and suggesting it on the blog in case you think it sounds good too. You don’t even have to go out and buy anything! You have to start the first day on December 4 to end on Christmas, so we’re on Gimel:
Deal bountifully with your servant,
that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
I am a sojourner on the earth;
hide not your commandments from me!
My soul is consumed with longing
for your rules at all times.
You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
who wander from your commandments.
Take away from me scorn and contempt,
for I have kept your testimonies.
Even though princes sit plotting against me,
your servant will meditate on your statutes.
Your testimonies are my delight;
they are my counselors.
Maybe this is perversely appealing for me because I always found this one of the most boring psalms alive. Laws, rules, commandments—how could they possibly have the attraction the writer claims? Is he lying? Why does he repeat himself so much? Is he trying to convince himself? If you faithfully read your part every day, though, you almost start convincing yourself you love the word. There are some cool lines in there every now and then.

I forget the seminary lingo for this, but there’s one way to read the Bible where Jesus lurks behind every statement and description in the Old Testament. It’s not that far-fetched. The people who wrote the New Testament have some pretty creative interpretations of the Old Testament, and they’re in the Bible, so it must be OK.

What if you read it as if Jesus is speaking? He has been known to pass off Psalm quotes as his own words.

While I’m sharing clever tips, I have discovered a very handy approach that defangs two of life’s poisonous tasks. I am a firm believer in abdominal exercise, ever since Foundations of Wellness in college. Apparently a strong stomach also keeps your back strong and pain-free. However, I have a hard time bringing myself to do sit-ups. There’s always something more fun or interesting going on.

Another unpleasant task, during the winter, is taking off your nightshirt and exposing your poor bare skin to the chilly air so you can put on your clothing for the day. I find myself wasting countless minutes thinking about it and not doing it.

Guess what? I have found a way to combine the two unpleasant activities so that neither is unpleasant any more! Just a few sit-ups makes you warm enough to want to take off your shirt even on the chilliest morning! It is absolutely fabulous. I can’t believe I’ve lived nearly 30 years before discovering this efficient and health-promoting practice.

No comments: