Saturday, July 22, 2006

Pepys

If you haven’t had time to look at the links over on the right, I encourage you to visit the diary of Samuel Pepys, a blog that has given me much pleasure lately. I fantasize about reading it every day and gradually getting a sense of life in 17th-century London.

I forget how I found it, but for pride’s sake I would like to point out that I was reading it before the Rabbi mentioned it in the May Books & Culture.

It doesn’t take much time, if you don’t try to figure out who all the people are, which I don’t. It’s kind of boring a lot of the time (not understanding much of it doesn’t help) but sometimes there is fun stuff like this:
...and so home to supper and bed, my head aching all the day from my last night’s bad rest, and yesterday’s distempering myself with over walking, and to-day knocking my head against a low door in Mr. Castle’s house. This day the Parliament kept a fast for the present unseasonable weather.

No comments: