Saturday, June 17, 2006

Gilead

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson is literary fiction of the good kind, with little plot to speak of, full of introspection and character study, but masterfully written and ringing true to life. I was reminded of Leif Enger's Peace Like a River, which is also highly recommended. Both books have Christians at or near the center of the plot, and, without hitting the reader over the head with theology or preaching, speak some profound words of truth. I do not know if either author is a Christian, but I would call both Christian works. (Wheaton graduates say together: "All truth is God's truth.")

Gilead takes the form of a journal written by a preacher, John Ames, who has married late in life and fathered a son, whom he knows he will not live to see grow up. So he writes the journal to his son, trying to tell him all at once what most fathers would be able to tell their sons gradually over time. Of course, life does not stop while John writes, and we see him struggle with friendships, forgiveness, jealousy, and worries both weighty and petty as he goes through life. There are many jewels of quotes, which I wish I had written down. As I said before, this is highly recommended, a book to savor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review - it is interesting that a book "with little plot to speak of" can ring true to life. Maybe it does so because we tend not to see a plot in our own real life. Lots of little stories, maybe - but a unifying plot?

Tree of Valinor said...

I just got Robinson's Housekeeping to read when I get to it. I've heard great things about it. Has anyone read it?

Tree of Valinor said...

Snap, what was it about the sons' reactions that seemed wrong to you? Do you mind my asking?

Scharnhorst said...

The person who loaned Gilead to me also read Housekeeping, and she said it wasn't nearly as good. I'll be interested to see what you think, having not read Gilead.