Sunday, January 01, 2006

New year, new blog posts

Happy new year.

The most recent book I read was a collection of short stories, A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies by John Murray. It has a powerful emotional voice, and interesting believable characters, but nothing really happens in any of the stories, that is to say, the plots are less than gripping. All the stories seemed the same; if I had read only one of them I probably would have really liked it, but as a collection it was a little disappointing.

The other book I want to mention from 2005 is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Definitely a bit more lowbrow than what's typically discussed on this blog, but in terms of reading pleasure it's the best book I've read in a while. It has a real story, a fun story, even if it's not a candidate for the National Book Award.

No comments: