Thursday, March 25, 2004

Happiness and purpose

This is only barely related to the discussion about money and contentedness, but I haven't said anything in quite a while so I thought I'd say something. In War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges, which I recommend, he says that both (1) happiness and (2) a sense of purpose are important to a balanced life. Happiness without purpose ends up being boring and empty, while a strong purpose without some sort of happiness becomes a mania or obsession, which is the main thing he's concerned about in the book.

As I try to choose between two positions that offer me $15,000 a year in two of the most expensive cities to live in in the United States, I wonder about both. Will graduate school really give me a sense of purpose, and will that even be enough money to subsist in Boulder or Eugene?

No comments: